This is a sample episode to show what the Route by Route format will be, as we don’t expect to start exploring routes until the second season. The first season will be mostly background: The history of the California State Highway system, explorations of how highways are numbers, exploring how highways are named, and the entities you’ll be hearing about in the episodes, such as the CTC. But we know you want the routes, so we decided to do a sample one for you. This episode focuses on Route 105.
The episode covers the following topics:
- Legislative Route 105
- 1965-1968 Interstate 105
- Post 1968 Interstate 105 – The Century Freeway
- Why I-105 doesn’t end at I-5
- The construction and the consent decree
- Names on the Highway
- Significant Problems
- Major Current Projects
If you want to see the “script” we used, we use a presentation format. Click here for the PDF.
For more information:
- California Highways:
- Gribblenation Blog:
- In Our Path. This is a site dedicated to showing the effect of the construction of I-105 in Los Angeles. There is a photo essay and other features.
- Interstate 105: The Fight for a Changing Los Angeles
- Access Magazine: The Century Freeway: Design by Court Decree
- California @ AARoads: I-105
Here’s the link to the show:
Here’s a link to the show on anchor.fm:
We welcome your comments on the episode. We’re also looking for someone to donate or provide more appropriate theme music.